No Comments

Advice On Working Holiday Visas – Get travel insurance for your working holiday

If you’re under 30 and hold an Australian passport, you can work your way around the world and boost your backpacking budget. It’s a great way to experience real life in another country and make new friends. Check out our Top 5 tips on working holiday visas to make the most of your overseas experience.

1. The world is your oyster

Australia has reciprocal working holiday agreements with 23 countries, including the UK, USA, Japan, Chile, Canada and France. Conditions vary between countries, but generally you can stay for up to 12 months (two years in the UK) and work and/or study for a short period time within that. But the main reason for your trip should be to travel, not kick-start your career.

2. Choose work that interests you

Each country may impose limits on the type of work you can do. In the UK, you could find casual work as an office temp, in a bar, or just about anything in between. In Japan, you’re more likely to find work teaching English. Or you could find yourself picking fruit in Denmark or working in a resort in Cyprus – wherever you go, something interesting is bound to turn up!

3. There are requirements

Some countries require that you have a tertiary education. In the US, you need to be sponsored by an organisation and be a recent graduate or current post-secondary student. In Chile, you need to speak a certain level of Spanish. And you’ll need a letter of support from the Australian government to apply for Thailand, Chile or Turkey. Each visa application also costs between $30 and $520.

4. Get your paperwork in order

You apply for a working holiday visa through the specific country’s embassy or consulate, just like any other visa. Allow plenty of time, and make sure your passport is up to date. Be open about the type of work and travel you intend to do – but remember most countries are quite flexible and won’t hold you to that. You never know what might happen once you get there!

5. Don’t overstay

If you overstay your working holiday visa, you will be deported. This can affect your long-term prospects of re-entering the country and you will have to pay any costs involved. It’s just not worth it – most working holiday visas can be easily extended, so give yourself enough time to do so.

And don’t forget your travel insurance – make sure you’re covered for all the adventures you’ll have while you work, travel and play.

If you’re planning to stay for a long period of time, make sure to check out long stay insurance.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest

Leave a Reply

This form is for commenting on this blog post - if you've got a customer enquiry, then please contact us by clicking here