Travel insurance news flash: Flights between Kuala Lumpur and Christchurch suspended.
Effective as of the 1st June 2012 all flights between Kuala Lumpur and Christchurch will be suspended. This information applies to travellers who purchased policies before March 13, 2012.The current four weekly Air Asia X flights will be suspended, with the last flight leaving Kuala Lumpur on the 30 May 2012 and Christchurch on 31 May 2012.
Air Asia X has issued a release informing customers who have purchased bookings after these dates an option of a full refund, reroute to another Air Asia X destination or to rebook a return flight prior to 31 May 2012. If you are one of these customers, Air Asia X will be in contact with you via email notifying you of these options.
The following information concerns policy holders who purchased a travel insurance policy before 13March 2012.
All policy purchased with 1Cover will be assessed based on the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and your cover will depend on the type of travel insurance purchased and your particular circumstance.
Policy information if you have not yet departed:
- Your policy will cover all pre-booked journey cancellations, rearrangements or the unused portion of your journey.
- If you have pre-booked flights and it is more affordable to switch to another travel provider there is specific cover for this.
- Please be advised that the media coverage of this cancellation, cover will not extend to any flights purchased after 14 March 2012. This is primarily due to the provisions that the traveller has been informed of this cancellation and it is now seen as not being unexpected.
- It is highly advisable that you contact your travel provider to discuss the best travel option.
Policy information if you are currently travelling:
- Your travel policy will cover all additional accommodation and food costs incurred due to the cancellation of flights.
- There are limits to the amount of cover claimable and full details are coved within the PDS issued when purchasing your policy.
- Please contact your travel provider, Air Asia X or Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 1300 725 154 to discuss your travel options.
What else you need to know:
It is advisable that you continue to ensure your expenses are at the same rate or lower than currently planned for accommodations and flights. For example if you previously booked with a budget accommodation provider on your trip to date, then simply continue to stay at the same level for the rest of your journey.
- Collect all supporting documentation and submit your travel insurance claim.
- 1Cover will then assess your claim per the policy purchased with us.
- For all claims concerning cancellations or additional expenses, you will need to submit receipts and information for your previous accommodation and journey expenses as well as your new arrangements, and advise from your travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of your travel arrangements.
- Any compensation and/or refunds received from Air Asia X, accommodation providers and food refunds will be deducted from any accepted claim settlement.
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade will be able to provide you with information and travel advice associated with risks Australians might face overseas, travel advice and recommendations, along with up-to-date and accurate information about travel. We recommend you stay informed and check their website regularly: www.smarttraveller.gov.au.
Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline: 1300 725 154, www.allianz-assistance.com.au