Car Insurance Groups
Car Insurance Groups Are Not Equal
Different car insurance groups can face different challenges to securing the best, low-cost cover.
The ‘grouping’ you belong to will go a long way towards establishing your car insurance rating. Groups can be defined by age or by gender with the bad drivers in each group impacting on the good drivers in setting bottom-line policy conditions and premiums.
- Statistically speaking, the 18 to 25 year age group has a higher frequency of claims meaning it is more difficult to take out economical car insurance. Young drivers often turn to third party, or even third party, fire and theft car insurance to keep costs down, but the cover provided should be weighed up against the cost of replacing or repairing their car, especially if they own a later model car.
- Considerations that will drive premiums up for this age group include gender - sorry guys, you statistically rate higher than the girls on accident stats - and the make of car plus if it has been modified in any way.
- To enjoy lower premiums, choose a 'family' car that is cheaper to repair, fit a security device and if possible secure it at night in a locked garage.
- With a few years driving experience under their belts, plus a higher income, the 30 to 45 year olds are not only classified as a lower risk, enjoying the benefits of cheaper premiums, but can also better afford the extensive benefits of full comprehensive car insurance.
- Considerations that will drive your premiums up are a poor driving/claims history, purchasing an expensive-to-repair imported make, and allowing under-25 drivers to drive the car.
- To enjoy lower premiums choose nominated driver and market value options plus fit a security device and house in a locked garage where possible.
- Over 65 drivers, while once again entering the slightly higher risk car insurance group, can offset potentially higher premiums on their motor vehicle insurance with safe driving discounts where eligible.
- The nominated driver option offered by many insurance companies can reduce your premium. However, as your age increases so does your perceived risk, which may impact on your premiums.
No matter which car insurance group list you may belong to, benefits to look out for when comparing auto insurance companies include:
- Pay by the month or yearly at no extra policy fee to you+
- A minimum 14-day money-back cooling off period providing no claim has been made on the policy in that time
- Online quotation and payment with strong Customer Service back-up if needed