Win a set of JULY suitcases worth $1,125! T&Cs apply

Overseas Medical & Hospital Expenses

A holiday overseas can often turn from adventure to nightmare within seconds.  If something happens, travel insurance can help ease some of the stress and financial burden.

What's Covered?
  • Medical & Hospital Expenses. We will reimburse the reasonable medical or hospital expenses that are incurred until you get back to Australia.
  • Emergency Dental Treatment. We will pay the cost of emergency dental treatment up to the maximum amount of $1000 per person.
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation. We will arrange medical evacuation of seriously ill or injured 1Cover travellers.
  • Medical Support. We'll provide full medical support from hospital to hospital, or from hospital to the family home or treatment facility.

Terms and conditions, limits and exclusions to all of the above apply. Please see PDS for full details.

what's not covered?
  • A non-approved pre-existing medical condition. We won't cover any medical or hospital expenses for undeclared or unapproved pre-existing conditions or those on our exclusion list.
  • Medical or hospital expenses where you didn't contact us. Make sure you contact 1Cover as soon as practical. We will not pay for any expenses for medical or hospital expenses if you haven't contacted us as soon as the event occurs. 
  • Expenses incurred because you didn't follow our advice. We will not pay if you decline to follow the medical advice of 1Cover or our associated third party providers.  
  • Over two weeks treatment for a chiropracter, physio or dentist, unless the circumstances are specially approved. 
  • Medical care where a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement exists. You can get help with the cost of essential medical treatment in some countries under the Australian Reciprocal Health Care Agreements.

Terms and conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please see PDS for full details.

Find out what else travel insurance covers here.       

Award Winning Travel Insurance

1Cover awards

Overseas Medical & Hospital Expenses FAQs

  • What Happens If I Get Sick or Injured Overseas?
  • 1Cover offer Emergency Medical Assistance anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. In an emergency situation, you can call our medical assistance team who will help with medical problems which may arise. If you are injured or become unwell overseas, you must notify 1Cover as soon as possible. 

  • I Am Sick Overseas And I Want To Return Home Early. What Should I Do?
  • If you are unwell overseas please contact us as soon as possible. Emergency assistance is provided 24/7, 365 days a year.
    If you are advised that you need a medical transfer or evacuation to Australia, you or a member of your travelling party must contact us as soon as possible and obtain prior approval to any expenses. 

    If you do not contact us or follow our guidance, we will not pay any expenses that would have been avoided or minimised if you had followed their guidance of our emergency assistance team

  • How Do I Contact You From Overseas?
  • For overseas medical assistance please contact our 24/7 emergency assistance team.
    If you have a general enquiry or you need to extend your policy please get in touch with our customer care team.

  • Will You Pay My Hospital Bills On My Behalf?
  • Here at 1Cover we offer Emergency Medical Assistance anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.

    If you are sick or injured overseas and you are dealing with hospital bills, you will need to make sure that a member of your travelling party or family member calls our medical assistance team as soon as possible.

    Our medical team will liaise with the treating hospital, and if you are covered, may provide written guarantees of payment for reasonable expenses (subject to your claim being approved). If you are covered and approved for medical evacuation, they will arrange this, if it’s deemed necessary.

    For minor ailments, such as those that only require a GP visit, you may attend the doctor, pay for your visit upfront and then submit your claim either from overseas or once you return home.

    Make sure that you keep all receipts and reports from your treating doctor, including the diagnosis and treatment notes and any other documents. If your total cost of treatment will exceed $1,000 you MUST contact our medical assistance team as soon as possible.

  • If I Call Your Emergency Assistance Number, Can They Advise Me On Where The Nearest Hospital Is?
  • Our medical assistance team has information on hospitals in many of the countries we provide cover for.  

    You may choose your own medical adviser or we can appoint an approved medical adviser to see you, unless you are treated under a reciprocal health care agreement.

    If you do not get the medical treatment you expect, we will not be liable for anything that results from that treatment.



Get A Quote Now


Where are you Travelling?

Find out everything you need to know about the best travel insurance for the following destinations: