Buy today for your chance to win $1,000 daily dollars! T&Cs apply


Overseas Medical Assistance

Travel isn't always smooth sailing. That's why we have a 24/7 emergency medical assistance to assist you whenever you need help.

What's Covered?
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation. We will arrange medical evacuation of seriously ill or injured 1Cover travellers.
  • Medical Escorts. We will also ensure that you are escorted by medically trained doctors and nurses who can monitor your condition and provide you with all the support you need.
  • Emergency Medical Repatriation. If required we will arrange the repatriation of a Resident of Australia or non-resident to their home or country of residence.
  • Medical Support. Our support team will provide full medical support from hospital to hospital, or from hospital to the family home or treatment facility.

Terms and conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please see PDS for full details.

what's not covered?
  • Unapproved expenses. We will not pay for any expenses for medical evacuation, funeral services or cremation or bringing your remains back to Australia unless it has been first approved by our team.
  • Expenses as a result of not following our advice. We will not pay if you decline to promptly follow the medical advice we have obtained and we will not be responsible for subsequent medical, hospital or evacuation expenses.
  • Domestic Medivac and repatriation. We will not pay for medical evacuation or the transportation of your remains from Australia to an overseas country. Medivac and repatriation is only available for overseas travel.

Terms and conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please see PDS for full details.

Find out what else travel insurance covers here. 

Award Winning Travel Insurance

1Cover awards

Overseas Medical Assistance FAQs

  • What Happens If I Get Sick or Injured Overseas?
  • 1Cover offer Emergency Medical Assistance anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. If you’re sick or injured, we advise that you or a member of your travelling party call our medical assistance team as soon as possible. 

    For minor ailments, such as those that only require a GP visit, you may choose to visit a doctor, pay for your visit upfront, and then submit your claim either from overseas or once you return home. Make sure that you keep all receipts and reports from your treating doctor, including the diagnosis and treatment notes and any other documents.

  • Is Medical Evacuation Included In Your Policies?
  • Medical evacuation is included for all standard plans except for Domestic and Domestic Frequent Traveller plans.

    If you want to be covered for medical evacuation and you’re taking part in ski or snow sports, you'll need to purchase the Winter Sports Pack add-on when you're buying your travel insurance to be covered for medical evacuation.

    If you’re going on a sea or river cruise, we advise you to purchase the Cruise Pack add-on when you purchase your policy to be covered for medical evacuation. This applies to domestic cruises as well, even if you’re purely cruising Australian waters

  • Am I Required To Hand Over My Passport If I Am Admitted To Hospital?
  • You must not give anyone your original passport other than the police or airport authorities. Remember to photocopy your passport whenever you travel overseas. 

  • Who Has Authority To Speak/Act On My Behalf If I Become Seriously Injured/Unwell Overseas?
  • People in your travelling party, other people named on the policy, spouse or direct family members can act on your behalf if you become injured or unwell overseas.

    If you or a member of your travelling party needs emergency assistance please contact us.

  • What Happens If I'm Evacuated To Australia. Will You Cover Medical Bills In Australia Too?
  • Once you are back in Australia we are unable to cover any domestic medical expenses. As a travel insurer we can't take the place of health insurance. There is legislation in place to prevent this.

    Once you have returned home to Australia you will have access to Medicare or your private health insurance.



Get A Quote  


Emergency Contacts

Our emergency assistance line is open 24/7, 365 days a year. We're there for you when you need us most. 

From overseas
Within Australia
  • All Assistance Enquiries:  1300 884 508 
toll free international numbers: 
  • UK: 0808 178 5380  
  • Australia: 1300 884 508
  • New Zealand: 0800 192 742
  • Thailand: 1800 011 857 
  • USA/Canada: 1 855 912 3443
  • Indonesia: 001 8030 612 053

Do you need to know About...

pre-existing Conditions

A pre-existing medical condition is something that must be disclosed when you’re purchasing travel insurance. Find out what they are and how they affect your travel insurance.


You or someone you’re travelling with is going to have a baby…so you’ll need to find out how travel insurance works for pregnant women.


It’s important that you have all the right vaccinations before you travel. From malaria to meningococcal, find out what you need to know about vaccinations and travel insurance.

What travel insurance covers 

From lost luggage, to cancellation, to repatriation. Travel with peace of mind and find out what else you're covered for and what you're not.