Can I Choose My Doctor If I Become Unwell Overseas?

You may choose your own medical advisor, or we can appoint an approved medical advisor to see you. The only exception to this is if you are treated under a reciprocal health care agreement.

Please note: if you do not get the medical treatment you expect, although we can assist you, 1Cover are not liable for anything that results from that treatment. If you are unwell overseas please contact us now.

For minor ailments, such as those that only require a GP visit, you may choose to visit a doctor overseas, pay for your visit upfront and then submit your claim. A claim can be submitted while you are still on your trip overseas or you can claim the overseas medical expense/s once you return home. Make sure that you keep all receipts and reports from your treating doctor, including the diagnosis and treatment notes and any other documents. If your total cost of treatment will exceed $1,000 you MUST contact our medical assistance team as soon as possible.

If you’re sick or injured, we advise that you or a member of your travelling party call our medical assistance team as soon as possible. Our medical team will liaise with the treating hospital, and if there is provision to claim, they will provide written guarantees of payment where possible for reasonable expenses. They can also approve medical evacuation if you are covered and this is deemed necessary.

<< Back to FAQs Home


Need Further Assistance?

Message Us



All FAQ answers are based on the current effective PDS. If your policy is older than the current PDS, please contact us or refer to your particular policy.

Any information contained on this website is general advice only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider these having regard to the PDS.